Pages

Monday 8 December 2014

Ghost House by Alexandra Adornetto

This book left me so torn. On the one hand, it was a total pile of clichés. On the other hand...damn it, it worked somehow.

Ghost House tells the story of Chloe, a girl with the power to see ghosts. After the death of her mother, Chloe's father is unable to cope and so sends her and her brother off to England to stay with their grandmother. Whilst there, Chloe becomes entangled with a vicious ghost called Isobel and falls in love with another ghost, Alex.

I had the strangest sense of deja-vu whilst reading this. Maybe it's just the fact it is a cliché storm but I swear I've encountered this exact story before. That aside, I couldn't help but really enjoy this book. It's predictable but the writing style and the characters manage to save it somehow. The only part I had trouble swallowing was the end. That was one cliché too far for me.

Am I glad I read this book? Despite that I feel like I shouldn't like it, yes I am. It's an absorbing little tale and better than your average YA book. It's just a shame that it couldn't be a bit more original in its plot.

Overall Score:

No comments:

Post a Comment