Pages

Sunday 8 April 2018

The Last Mrs. Parrish by Liv Constantine AND The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen

So I have a dilemma. Here are two great thrillers that I read within two months of each other and they both have the exact same twist/plot. This is awkward because I genuinely enjoyed them both. I read The Wife Between Us first and it absolutely shocked me in the best kind of way. I was so happy because I thought I guessed the twist early on, and while I was kind of right I was also very wrong. Which was fantastic because I got the dual benefits of feeling smug and still being surprised. I never got round to writing a review for it but it was one of my favourite thrillers I had ever read.

Then we come to The Last Mrs. Parrish, a book I read in one sitting due to its fantastic writing style. And yeah, I guessed the plot very early on because it is the same plot as The Wife Between Us. If I hadn't read that book first, I no doubt would have been very surprised and I would have raved about this book instead of The Wife Between Us.

Thankfully despite their similarities, both books have enough differences to keep you interested. I would say The Last Mrs. Parrish is arguably better, although the difference is minimal. Even knowing the twist, I couldn't put it down and it has much more focus on the characters. Both Daphne and Amber are fully-fleshed out and you get very invested in reading about them for very different reasons. Meanwhile, The Wife Between Us still has strong characters but the focus is on a twisty story. Honestly, the very last twist of the latter book was a bit hard for me to stomach and I would have enjoyed it a lot more had it not been included. It doesn't add much to the plot and it definitely challenges the reader's suspension of disbelief.

Overall, these are both fantastic thrillers. The Last Mrs. Parrish did come out first but they were released so close together that I doubt anyone ripped anyone else off. Do you need to read them both? Probably not. Which one you reach for is entirely up to you but if you are going to read them both, I would pick The Wife Between Us first as you benefit much more going into that one blind. They are both very well-written and I am not disappointed I read them.

Overall Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment