Pages

Saturday 18 January 2014

Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers

I was very excited to read this book. It sounded so different from Summers' other stuff that I was intrigued. Upon finishing though, I was somewhat disappointed.

This is the trouble with Summers' work-the endings. They're so damn unsatisfying that the moment you finish, you're left with nothing but bitter rage. And then you stop and think about it for a second and it quickly turns to love. The ending of Fall for Anything provides no answers whatsoever and really, there's no solution to the story. But such an ending fits so well with the theme of the book that it's hard for me to fault it for that. Plus my heart was pounding like crazy on the last couple of pages which is always a good sign.

The plot itself is not action-packed but the beautiful writing makes up for that greatly. I did notice the fact that nothing much happened more so than I did in her other books though. Eddie was naturally very passive as a narrator and while it didn't detract from the story, it did feel a lot shorter and less fleshed-out than some of her others perhaps did.

The title-I absolutely adore it. It's very, very clever for various reasons.
The characters-meh, perhaps not as intriguing as some of her past ones. Eddie was rather passive as I've mentioned which was fine since it fit with the idea that she was grieving. Milo on the other hand didn't really have much of a personality either. Culler was slightly better developed but barely. A lot of what you get from the characters is inferred rather than stated so there's a lot of room for different interpretations here.

Ultimately, I consider Fall for Anything the weakest of Summers' books. That still makes it a very good book on the whole with a reasonably strong plot and decent enough characters. I'd recommend reading it but after the other ones perhaps, and only if you're the sort of person who can cope with an open ending.

Overall Score:
.5

No comments:

Post a Comment