Pages

Tuesday 9 May 2017

The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware

It's hard for me to judge which I liked better, this book or In a Dark, Dark Wood. I bought this as soon as I finished the latter and it did not disappoint. This one certainly has a more complex plot but not necessarily in a bad way. I think I liked the main character more or at least, she seemed to be more developed and have more meat to her.

The premise of this book seems simple on the surface-a journalist gets sent on a super fancy cruise as part of her job, only to get sucked into a mystery when she thinks she hears a woman get thrown overboard. The reviews describe this as Agatha Christie-esque but honestly, it's really not. This is not your traditional murder mystery setup and it's much more like a modern thriller. However, this doesn't mean it isn't good,

I must admit, I was not quite as sucked into this book as In a Dark, Dark Wood. That need to finish it quickly wasn't quite as strong, although I still read it across two days. It slumps a little sooner than her previous work too, although slump here means 'was slightly less engaging and still really awesome'. However, the ending really is its saving grace. Again, I was unable to predict what was going to happen and the direction it takes is an intriguing and less obvious one. I loved the reasoning behind everything, even if maybe the second to last bit was a bit directionless.

Again, this is a really solid book from a very satisfying author. I definitely won't be forgetting it anytime soon and really, that's all I ask for from my thrillers. Definitely worth a read and it shouldn't disappoint.

Overall Rating:
.5

No comments:

Post a Comment