Pages

Sunday 10 September 2017

The One by Kiera Cass

*Spoilers Ahead*

Urgh, why can't I stop? The One is much more of the same, and if you've read my other reviews then you already know how I feel about this series. However, this is the book that tries to ramp up the whole dystopian/drama aspect. Unfortunately it falls really flat.

So yeah, this book has the exact same problem as the last one. America clearly loves Maxon. Why hasn't she picked him yet? Well, in this one it's because she refuses to be the first one to say 'I love you'! Yep, we've reached that level. Aspen doesn't even feature as a love interest really, except to mess everything up because the prince FINALLY finds out he was the one America used to love. Yes, it's executed terribly and leads to drama at the worst possible point.

So that thing with her dad finally paid off kind of. He was a rebel all along which was obvious from the book scene in the second book. He also dies, although the two events are unrelated. Also the fact he was a rebel is never mentioned again and isn't relevant to the plot at all. But hey, dystopian!

My main issue with this book is the attempt at a dramatic ending. Okay, so a bunch of characters get killed off in a rebel attack and then they're NEVER MENTIONED AGAIN. Like, the king and queen are but not America's head maid, not Celeste, not other people who probably died who I can't remember because the book didn't mourn them at all. It was very jarring in a series with such a track record of lovely and nice characters to have them just kind of forget about the dead and return to happy wedding fluff. I was particularly annoyed about Celeste because she was finally developed into an interesting character and then she's just dismissed by the narrative.

On the whole yes, this is a series which has just gotten worse and worse. I can't deny that I've really enjoyed reading it though and I am going to pick up the sequels. They're so quick to read and just easy. I've read far far worse YA that takes itself far more seriously and I'm not going to hate on a series for being fluffy and sweet. Not when the ride has been this fun anyway!

Overall Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment