Pages

Wednesday 3 April 2019

The Surface Breaks by Louise O'Neill

No book review can ever be objective but in most cases, my ratings given to books reflect how I think most people will react to it. If I rate a book highly, not only do I love it but I usually think most people will enjoy it as well. The Surface Breaks is a book that hasn't always been well-received and I completely understand why but I love Louise O'Neill's writing with a burning passion and so I have to love this book.

This book has a fair few problems. Firstly, the feminism is very overt and not remotely subtle. This will definitely annoy some people regardless of their political beliefs. Secondly, this follows the plot of The Little Mermaid almost identically so there aren't any surprises here. This is definitely a retelling rather than an reimagining and that may disappoint some people as well. Every beat of the story can be predicted which some may see as a huge flaw.

However, having said all that I could not put down The Surface Breaks. O'Neill is one of my favourite writers and I love her poetic, brutal, gut-punch prose. She packs so much emotion and bleakness into every line that it's hypnotic to read. Only Ever Yours is one of my favourite books ever and The Surface Breaks shares many of the same qualities as that, albeit done less subtly. The feminism fits the world less and the protagonist comes across as weaker given the change of setting from a dystopian society to an underwater one. However, it remains beautifully-written and certainly has a lot to say.

If you only read one O'Neill book, I would not recommend this one. That being said, this is a fantastic retelling of The Little Mermaid with strong themes of feminism, sexism and the dangers of not questioning your choices. It is full of heartbreak but also strong worldbuilding and a somewhat interesting take on the traditional story. I cannot wait to read the rest of O'Neill's work and this is a book I will not forget in a hurry.

Overall Rating:
.5

No comments:

Post a Comment