Pages

Monday 25 January 2016

Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

'But it wasn't like you had to really search for the philosophy. It was pretty straightfoward, I thought.'

^ That quote up there pretty much summarises Perks perfectly. I knew I was not going to love this book, purely from the kind of book it is. I was pleasantly surprised to find I enjoyed it more than expected. Perks is one of those 'life lesson' books, complete with the usual detached and 'intelligent' protagonist who somehow knows very little about actual life and yet gets to have all these experiences.

'The thing is, I didn't know what it said even if it said it very well.'

Perks has exactly the opposite problem of that. There is no way in hell you could miss the (admittedly good) messages in this book, mainly because they are all just stated by the narrator with no finesse or attempt to show and not tell. Every single one is presented as something really profound that the main character has discovered and must share with you. Newsflash-this book has nothing very meaningful to add in terms of messages. Sure, it makes several good points but it's nothing we don't all know from a) our own life experiences and b) much better media. Having the narrator announce basic life lessons as though they're something new and deep is just annoying at best.



Ah yes, the narrator. I do not buy Charlie as a super intelligent person. I genuinely thought he was 12 for most of the book and was shocked to find out he was 15/16. I know intelligence takes many forms and presumably his detached, childlike style of narration was a deliberate choice by the author but I'm sorry, it doesn't work for me. He knows so little about everything it seems and apart from reading apparently advanced books (Is To Kill a Mockingbird really that advanced/hard to understand?), his intelligence is not depicted at all. It makes his teacher just seem naive for singling him out.

Those two issues aside, Perks is mostly a hipster dream. For me, a book needs strong character voices in order for me to truly love it and that just didn't happen here. I found it interesting and I didn't hate it but it covers so many traumatic issues without actually covering them properly. They're plot devices to be dismissed a few pages after they happen, nothing more. In the end, Perks didn't disappoint me but probably only because I expected so little.

Overall Score:
.5

No comments:

Post a Comment