Pages

Friday 22 January 2016

The Grownup by Gillian Flynn

MILD-ISH SPOILERS

Gonna be honest, I thought this was a book. Nevermind. I'm not one to turn down a good short story, especially not when it's as engaging as this. Quite different from her usual work in a good way. I'm getting a bit sick of the whole 'evil woman' thing, if only because it makes her work predictable.

This story had such potential. I was mildly shocked by the first line and drawn in soon after. I just wish, wish, wish it had ended at the first twist. That was good, that was clever, that was something I could get behind. Instead Flynn tries to go one step too far but then somehow takes the step back and then it just kind of ends in a really unsatisfying way. I get what she was going for and sure, the ending makes sense I suppose. Maybe I'm just too fond of my more horrific short stories.

There's not really much else I can say about this. If it hadn't carried on the way it did, I would have given it a much higher rating. It's still wonderfully written and very engaging so I can't fault it too much but yeah, ultimately it disappointed me.

Overall Score:

No comments:

Post a Comment